Brighton MeetUp – currently a sub-group of Conversation Cafe
‘One Garden – Masters of Wisdom’
CONVERSATIONS & DIALOGUES – to explore, celebrate & practice oneness – from within the enlightenment teachings of great spiritual teachers – in a Perennial Philosophy context.
OUR MAP-MAKERS: As map-makers of the ‘territory’ we have Eckhart Tolle, Ken Wilber, Aldous Huxley & Wayne Teasdale – and for a popular historical perspective – Karen Armstrong.
Other great teachers: Thomas Merton, Shaikh Kabir Helminski, Abdu’l-Baha, Thich Nhat Hanh, Abraham Joshua Heschel, Quaker Universalism, Deng Ming-Dao, Albert Einstein, Prof John Miller (great champion of Holistic Education) – and wonder-full poets & philosophers!
All are ‘gate-keepers’, or pointers as Buddhist teachers say, to realizing ourselves in ‘One Garden’!
WEEKLY – BUT NO NEED TO ATTEND EVERY WEEK – each session is ‘stand alone’. You don’t have to buy books or read lots – materials provided.
WHERE?: The new branch of Cafe Coho – 83 Queens Road Brighton, BN13XE – near Brighton Station 2 doors away from Budgens store
WHO IS IT FOR?: For all on a path to realizing their true self – this is a day-time group for members of Conversation Cafe and those in our monthly sister group ‘Conversation with the Spiritual Classics’ – and of course for new members.
HOW’S IT WORK? – each week we have a topic/question: One way we work is simply to put ‘spiritual jewels’ next to each other e.g. by juxtaposing these two pieces by Rumi & Abraham Joshua Heschel;
1 Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing – by Rumi
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn’t make any sense.
2 Concepts & Amazement – a quote by A J Heschel
“Concepts are delicious snacks with which
we try to alleviate our amazement.”
Abraham Joshua Heschel – Who is Man p.88
EXAMPLE TOPIC: Being at-one
EXAMPLE QUESTION: Where & how and through what are we one?
1) ”One Garden’ – dedicated site for this group, ‘One garden -Masters of Wisdom’ in a perennial philosophy context – is HERE
2) Soul Needs:= celebrating the human spirit via; i) THE ARTS – especially (street) photography, ii) PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT & human-centred studies, iii) SOCIAL JUSTICE ACTIVISM, iv) INTERFAITH inter-spirituality & Perennial Wisdom, including the ‘One Garden’ project. v) WHOLE-PERSON LEARNING, radical renewal of child education + healing for adults – (via a) to d)!) – – vi) THE NEW PROJECT – surviving IPF as long as possible!
NB Posts for all ‘6 Projects’ start or end up on the ‘Soul Needs’ site.
THE LAST WORD FOR NOW GOES TO KEN WILBER
“Most of the great wisdom traditions agree that:
1. Spirit, by whatever name, exists.
2. Spirit, although existing “out there,” is found “in here,” or revealed within to the open heart and mind.
3. Most of us don’t realize this Spirit within, however, because we are living in a world of sin, separation, or duality-that is, we are living in a fallen, illusory, or fragmented state.
4. There is a way out of this fallen state (of sin or illusion or disharmony), there is a Path to our liberation.
5. If we follow this Path to its conclusion, the result is a Rebirth or Enlightenment, a direct experience of Spirit within and without, a Supreme Liberation, which
6. marks the end of sin and suffering, and
7. manifests in social action of mercy and compassion on behalf of all sentient beings.” – Ken’s 2-part article is HERE
This is of course Ken’s model of The Perennial Philosophy. My model; ‘Awaken: Detach: Serve’ is HERE
Namaste & all good wishes –