Handout for presentation Sat 31st Guerrand-Hermès Foundation
Hi – I look forward to meeting you all on Sat 31st Jan. I have sent a PDF of the introduction of my PhD – it was written to be an overview. This handout is to supplement that – to take account of some of the developments since 2003. My presentation, and our discussion, has the title;
Theorizing your practice and practising your theory:
values & philosophies underpinning holistic education as a movement.
The focus of the presentation is on articulating a model of education based on ‘living out your values in your practice ‘and ‘practising your theory and theorizing your practice‘ – with an emphasis on managing the classroom process.
1) SunWALK is the core model in my work – it is the product of several decades of teaching, searching, and of my PhD. It is also the model at the core of all of my interests – including art, education and universal spirituality. It is a meta-model as well as a model per se.
SunWALK at its simplest:
1) The model is designed to provide the teacher (and learner) with a framework with which to;
b) manage the teaching process and
c) govern processes of assessment and evaluation
2) The model of education is governed by a model of what it is to be human.
1) SunWALK is about raising consciousness. It is a way of representing
a) human interiority – how energy, the human spirit, flows within us, but there is also
b) the external co-equivalent – as in the Arts, Sciences and Humanities sections of universities .
We internalize Caring, Creativity & Criticality and a sense of community and culture and we also live in various forms of community, and corresponding cultural milieus.
The 3 Cs are the 3 ‘modes of being’ and ‘ways of engaging’ – with self, others and the world-at-large. We engage Caringly, Creatively & Critically. These are the 3 internalizations of the Arts, Humanities and Sciences in the 4th C – Community. Internally the 3Cs are the WE voice, the I voice and IT voice.
2) We engage via our ‘Sun’, our internalized beliefs & (higher-order) values – or their absence.
3) The WALK = the psychological goal of nurturing to achieve Wise & willing Action through Loving and Knowing. (WALK includes the idea of FLOW and psycho-spiritual integration).
4) One-sentence version: The SunWALK (meta) model of Holistic, Human-centred or Person-centred education suggests that we should learn & teach & learn via a balanced use of the following 14 elements. So, education using SunWALK =
The storied development of
3) constructed, and de-constructed,
4) physically, mentally & spiritually, through
5) Wise &
7) Action, via
8) Loving and
9) Knowing – developed in
10) Community through
11) Dialectical Spiritualization processes (in all 4Cs) – all undertaken in
12) the light of the ‘Sun’ of (chosen)
13) higher-order values and beliefs, using
14) the best available, appropriate, content.
The black dot symbolizes the mystery, and potential at the heart of each of us.
BIBLIOGRAPHY is HERE